Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Great Yarmouth
Number of texts: 1
A Lighthouse has been known to have stood in this location since the 17th century This first lighthouse was constructed between 1616 and 1618. This lighthouse was destroyed by fire and was rebuilt in 1687 and had an octagonal tower. This lighthouse was privately owned by the Turner family. The owners were entitled to a penny for every ton for every ship that sailed within the light. The lighthouse can be seen clearly on Faden’s large-scale map (at one inch to the mile) of the county of Norfolk of 1779, and Bryant’s map of 1826. In 1836, the lighthouse was bought out by Trinity House. During the 1914/1918 World War, the present lighthouse became a military lookout post. Soon after, in 1921, the Lighthouse ceased operations. In 1921, the lighthouse and its cottage were turned into a private residence. The lantern was replaced by a circular observation room.