Coxheath Common at Coxheath, Kent was used as a major cricket venue for 8 first-class matches between 1728 and 1789 as well as for a number of minor matches. It was first recorded in 1728 when Edward Stead's Kent team played against Sussex. By the middle of the 18th century the heath was being used as a military training ground; Kent used it occasionally over the years and the last known use of the common was by Sir Horatio Mann's XI in 1789. After the defeat of Napoleon the heath was no longer needed by the military and was enclosed; the modern village is a relatively recent development.
Copyright: CC 3.0