Lemlair House was originally built as a fortified seat for the chief of the Clan Munro in 1643. However it soon became the home of Colonel John Munro of Lemlair, a near relative of the chief. Lemlair is situated halfway north of Dingwall and south of Evanton, and is just a short distance from Foulis Castle. The name "Lemlair" is thought to come from the Gaelic for "a bare place suitable for grazing horses".
Copyright: CC 3.0