Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Exeter
Number of texts: 1
The area of Cathedral Close, Exeter has been in the centre of Exeter, England, since Roman times when there was a basilica and a bath house in this area. A church was established here by the seventh century when a young Saint Boniface came from Crediton to study. The area was walled after 1283 and seven gates into the yard were created. The gates included one at St Petrocks and the original grand entrance into the yard - Broadgate. This created the cathedral close.