The Old Church of St Nidan, Llanidan is a medieval church in the community of Llanidan, in Anglesey, North Wales, close to the Menai Strait. The first church on the site was established in the 7th century by St Nidan, the confessor of the monastery at Penmon, Anglesey, but the oldest parts of the present structure, which is now closed and partly in ruins, date from the 14th century. In about 1500 the church was enlarged by the addition of a second nave on the north side; an arcade of six arches was also built between the two naves. Between 1839 and 1843 a new church was built nearby to serve the local community, partly owing to the cost of repairing the old church. Much of the building was subsequently demolished, leaving only part of the western end and the central arcade. The decision was condemned at the time by Harry Longueville Jones, a clergyman and antiquarian, who lamented the "melancholy fate" of what he called "one of the largest and most important [churches] in the island of Anglesey". Other appreciative comments have been made about the church both before and after its partial demolition.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Isle of Anglesey