The house was built for Thomas Shirley in about 1576 and substantially enlarged by Edward Blore in the early 19th century. It was captured first by the Royalists and then by the Parliamentarians during the English Civil War. It was bought by Sir John Fagg in 1649 and then acquired by Sir Charles Goring, the wife of Fagg's great-granddaughter, in 1743. During World War II, the grounds were used as a camp by the 10th battalion Highland Light Infantry as they prepared for the Normandy landings.
Copyright: CC 3.0