Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Italia, Roma, Roma
Number of texts: 2
The Fontana delle Api, or Fountain of the Bees, is a fountain located in the Piazza Barberini in Rome where the piazza meets Via Sistina. The sculptor Bernini completed the fountain in April 1644. It consists of a marble bi-valve shell with three bees of the same material resting on it. The fountain was intended to be a watering trough for horses. An inscription on the shell reads “Urban VIII Pont. Max., having built a fountain for the public ornamentation of the City, also built this little fountain to be of service to private citizens. In the year 1644, XXI of his pontificate.” The “public ornamentation” referred to in the inscription is the Triton Fountain, or Fontana Del Tritone, which Bernini had completed the year before.
Fontana delle Api (Fountain of the Bees) is a fountain located in the Piazza Barberini in Rome where the Via Veneto enters the piazza. It was sculpted by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and completed in April 1644.