Santa Maria dei Carmini, also called Santa Maria del Carmelo and commonly known simply as the Carmini, is a small church in the sestiere or neighbourhood of Dorsoduro in Venice, northern Italy. It nestles against the former Scuola Grande di Santa Maria del Carmelo, also known as the Scuola dei Carmini. This charitable confraternity was officially founded in 1597, and arose from a lay women's charitable association, the Pinzocchere dei Carmini. The members of this lay group were associated as tertiaries to the neighbouring Carmelite monastery. They were responsible for stitching the Scapulars for the Carmelites.
Copyright: CC 3.0