The church was founded in 1573-75 by the Fabrizio Pignatelli, brother of the second duke of Monteleone, knight of the Priory of Jerusalem (Gerosolimitani or Knights Hospitaller), and former Bailiff of Santa Eufemia in Calabria. As a knight or leader of knights, Pignatelli had fought in the defense of the siege of Rhodes (1522), Tripoli (1544), and Malta (1565). The church was constructed adjacent the Hospital of "Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini". Upon the death of the patron, the church was then ceded to Archiconfraternity which already ran the hospital.
Copyright: CC 3.0