Gravina Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral located in Gravina in Puglia, region of Apulia, Italy. It was previously the episcopal seat of the Diocese of Gravina. Since 1986, along with Altamura Cathedral and Acquaviva Cathedral, it has served as a co-cathedral of the Diocese of Altamura-Gravina-Acquaviva delle Fonti.
A cathedral was built here at the end of the 11th century by Humphrey of Hauteville, Count of Apulia and Calabria, and thus lord of the town. This church was destroyed in the years 1447-1456 by a fire followed by an earthquake, after being refurbished in a Renaissance-Romanesque style. Of the original church only a few Byzantine capitals and frescoes remain. The present cathedral was built in the thirty years following, under the supervision of the bishop Matteo d'Aquino.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com