Princessehof Ceramics Museum is a city museum of ceramics in Leeuwarden, The Netherlands. The museum's name comes from one of two buildings in which it is housed: a small palace built in 1693 and later occupied by Marie Louise, dowager Princess of Orange. The other annexed building is the Papinga stins, a former stronghold from the 15th century. The museum is of interest for its buildings, but also for its collection of tiles, pottery, and ceramic sculpture.
In 1731, the building was purchased by Marie Louise , who had been a widow since 1711 and acted as regent for her son William IV up to that year, when he came of age. She moved in and began a collection of ceramics, and her collection forms part of the museum's collection, most notably in the Nassaukamer, a period dining room in Baroque style. After she died, the building was split into three houses, and one of these later came into the hands of the Leeuwarden notary and art collectors Nanne Ottema and his wife Grietje Kingma, who founded the museum during their lifetime in 1917.
Copyright: CC 3.0