De Hoop is a smock mill in Sleen, Drenthe, the Netherlands, which has been restored to working order. The mill was built in 1914 and is listed as a Rijksmonument, number 33787.
A mill was built here in 1850. It was a smock mill without a stage and stood until it was burnt down in 1914. To replace it, the mill known as De Gunst, also known as the Molen van Nefkens, was moved from Amersfoort, Utrecht by millwright L Reinds of Beilen. The mill was built for miller H Berends. The mill was restored between 1953 and 1956 by millwright Huberts of Coevorden. On 24 July 1956 the mill was put back to work. In 1976, millwright J D Medendorp of Zuidlaren restored the mill again. In 2010 the local authority Gemeente Coevorden became owner of the mill. Society "Sleener Molen Stichting ‘De Hoop’" was founded in 2012 to work the mill.
Copyright: CC 3.0