Penninga's Molen or De Jonge Wester is a smock mill in Joure, Friesland, Netherlands which was built in 1900 and is working for trade. It is also used as a training mill. The mill is listed as a Rijksmonument, number 20842.
The mill was originally built in 1692 at Westzaan, Noord Holland by millwright Jelis Hendricksz. At Westzaan, it was originally a paper mill known as De Jong Dolfijn . In 1819, the mill was converted to a barley mill, later also being used for milling rice. In 1900, the mill was sold for demolition. It was dismantled and shipped across the Zuiderzee to Joure by millwright Jelmer Visser of Heerenveen. The mill had been bought by miller Auke Sietzes Penninga to replace the smock mill De Westenberg, which had burnt down on 13 April 1900. The new mill was named De Jonge Wester but was known locally as Penninga's Molen. It worked until 1936, or 1938. It is said to have been worked occasionally during the Second World War, but was otherwise used as stables. By the 1960s, the mill was derelict. The Stichting de Penninga's Molen was established in 1966. It purchased Penninga's Molen in 1970 for ƒ1. In 1970-71, the mill was restored by millwright Y Schakel of Exmorra. During the restoration, the windshaft from the Rijperpoldermolen, Ryptsjerk was fitted. This mill had burnt down on 2 June 1968. The windshaft originally in Penninga's Molen is now fitted to Sint Annamolen, Nijmegen, Gelderland. The mill was officially opened on 10 May 1972 by Commissioner to the Queen H Rijpstra. The mill serves as a training mill for the Gild Fryske Mounders . On 7 July 2000, the mill was dressed overall in the Zaanse style, in celebration of its Zaan origins and the centenary of its erection in Joure. A further restoration of the mill was undertaken in 2007. The stage was rebuilt, and the cap removed from the mill to allow it to be completely rethatched.
Copyright: CC 3.0