Wijnandsrade Castle is a castle situated in the town of Wijnandsrade, which is part of Nuth. The castle is a national monument.
Part of the castle has a moat in front of it, the castle itself consists of three wings around a courtyard. The west wing is the oldest part of the castle. This used to be a enforced defensible house, built from 1554 to 1563 by the brothers Wilhelm and Werner von dem Bongart. In this wing is the original knight's hall with a 16th century chimney situated. The southern wing and the eastern wing were built by Baron Joseph Clemens von dem Bongart between 1717 and 1719. Around 1726 the entrance gate was enhanced. In 1775 the entrance gate was endowed with a dome with lantern. Above the entrance gate in the southern wing the barony arms of coat of Von dem Bongart can be seen.
Next to the castle lies a castle farm, the Borchhof, consisting of three wings around a large courtyard.
Situated at the back of the castle is the motte Wijnandsrade, surrounded by the moat. This artificial hill was the original location of the castle, which probably was a keep. This was built in the 13th century, but was abandoned when its defensive functionality was useless due to the invention of gunpowder. No remains are preserved, but the motte itself is a national monument.
6363 BW Wijnandsrade