The Schinasi House is a 12,000 square foot, 35 room marble mansion on Riverside Dr. in New York City. It was built in 1907 for Turkish tobacco barron Morris Schinasi. The mansion was designed by Carnegie Hall architect William Tuthill and reportedly retains almost all of its historic detail, including a Prohibition-era trap door that once extended all the way to the river. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 23, 1980 and designated a New York City Landmark on March 19, 1974. It has been cited as being the last remaining detached single-family house in Manhattan.
Copyright: CC 3.0