Crailo State Historic Site is a historic, fortified brick manor house in Rensselaer, New York which was originally part of a large patroonship held by Kiliaen van Rensselaer, c. 1585–1643. Crailo is a Dutch word meaning Crow's Woods , and refers to the Rensselaer's Estate in Huizen, Holland, also named "Crailo".
Starting as early as 1663 through the 18th century, this site had become synonymously known as Greenbush. The property consisted of flat alluvial farmlands, orchards, mills, a store, and ferry rights to Albany. As early as 1663, the estate had a small fort for the protection of the local inhabitants from Indian attacks during the Esopus Wars and in 1675 during King Philip's War the local militia captain was instructed to install a palisade around this fort. The fields and farm buildings at Crailo were used to quarter British and colonial troops as early as 1694 and at intervals during each of the French and Indian wars.
Copyright: CC 3.0