The Hammond Building was a high-rise building completed in 1889 at the corner of Griswold Street West Fort Street in the financial district of downtown Detroit, Michigan. The 46 m (151 ft) building was designed by Harry W. J. Edbrooke, and is considered the first historic steel-framed skyscraper in the city, and was the tallest in the state when built. Russel Wheel & Foundry supplied and erected the iron and structural steel for the building. The Hammond Building was demolished in 1956 to make way for the National Bank of Detroit Building, which has since been renamed The Qube. At 12 stories, the steel-framed United Way Community Services Building (1895), originally the Chamber of Commerce Building, qualifies as Detroit's oldest existing skyscraper.
Copyright: CC 3.0