Washington High School was a high school in Portland, Oregon, United States, from 1906 to 1981. It was part of the Portland school district. After fire destroyed the original building, a new building was completed in 1924. The 1924 building was vacant for many years. In October 2013, plans to renovate the building for commercial use were advancing, with a mix of retail and office use planned. New Seasons Market relocated its offices to the building in 2015 and is the largest tenant. The former auditorium was repurposed as a music venue called Revolution Hall, which opened in February 2015. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in November 2015.
The first Washington High School was originally named East Side High School. It opened in September 1906, with classes temporarily held in an elementary school while its permanent building was being constructed and moved into its permanent building in February 1907, located at SE 14th and Stark. The East Side High School was renamed Washington in 1909. The original building was destroyed by fire on October 25, 1922. A replacement was constructed on the same site, made of reinforced concrete with a brick surface. Designed by the Portland architectural firm of Houghtaling & Dougan, the new building also featured terra cotta trim. It opened for students on September 2, 1924.
Copyright: CC 3.0