Providence Quaker Cemetery and Chapel, also known as Providence Meeting House, is a historic chapel and cemetery located on Quaker Church Road near Perryopolis, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. The cemetery was used by Quakers, but the chapel is not a Quaker structure. Quakers generally refer to a structure built for worship as a meetinghouse, rather than as a chapel or church. The chapel was built in 1895 on the site of a stone Quaker meetinghouse built in 1793. It was built of roughly coursed stone from the previous structure. It measures 20 feet by 30 feet, and serves as the chapel for the cemetery. The cemetery contains approximately 500 burials, though only about 50 tombstones are currently standing. The graves generally date from approximately 1790 to 1870, when the meeting house closed, though modern tombstones date as late as 2003.
Copyright: CC 3.0