Nazareth High School is a public high school located in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, in the United States. It is the only high school in the Nazareth Area School District and serves grades 9 through 12. Its mascot is the Blue Eagle and school colors are blue and white. Student enrollment for the 2010-2011 school year was approximately 1,600 students. In a 2006 study conducted by the school district, 43% of households within the district's boundaries reported having one or more children in the high school. As of the 2009-2010 school year, the high school was fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. In 2012, Nazareth Area High School received the Keystone Award from the Pennsylvania Department of Education for achieving Annual Yearly Progress for two consecutive years as measured by the Pennsylvania State System of Assessment tests. Nazareth Area High School has also appeared on the College Boards Advanced Placement Honor Roll for the last four consecutive years, out of the five it has been awarded, one of just two Pennsylvania schools to do so. Nazareth Area High School has an AP test passing rate of 87%, above state average of 69% and global average of 61%.
The current high school was first built in 1954 and opened to students on October 3, 1955. It was dedicated on April 8, 1956 to Frederic A. Marcks, a former teacher and the first Superintendent of the Nazareth Area School District, following the merger of the regional districts. The original construction of the building consisted of two floors of academic classrooms with an auditorium, a gym, and a small cafeteria. In 1971, the school underwent construction of a new wing consisting mainly of classrooms which made the school twice as large as it was originally intended to be. In addition to new classrooms, the addition included a new library , expanded the cafeteria to nearly four times its original size, and added onto the current gym, doubling the size while also adding a lower level which housed a fitness room and coach's offices. In 1998, the school experienced a mold problem which destroyed most of the old ceilings in the original building while causing the lead paint in the 1971 addition to chip faster than expected. The problem was deemed a health issue and the school was forced to close for emergency renovations. That same year, with the new middle school built, the old junior high school became the school's "North Campus".
Copyright: CC 3.0