The Jay Street Bridge crosses the West Branch Susquehanna River between Lock Haven on the south bank and Lockport on the north. The original structure, completed for the Lock Haven Bridge Company by the E. Kirkbride Company in 1852, was a covered bridge about 800 feet (240 m) long. A two-story toll house, 48 feet (15 m) long and 18 feet (5.5 m) wide was later added at the foot of the bridge on the Lock Haven side. Travelers using the bridge passed through an archway in the center of the toll house. The bridge included a covered pedestrian walkway on the downstream side.
Copyright: CC 3.0