Dallastown Area High School is a large suburban, American High School and is part of the Dallastown Area School District. The school is located at 700 New School Lane, Dallastown, Pennsylvania in York County, Pennsylvania. Dallastown Area High School is commonly referred to as Dallastown, Dallastown High, DAHS, and DHS. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, in 2010, Dallastown Area High School reported an enrollment of 1,869 pupils in grades 9th through 12th, with 272 pupils eligible for a federal free or reduced-price lunch due to family poverty. The school employed 127 teachers, yielding a student–teacher ratio of 15:1. According to a report by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, 100% of its teachers were rated "Highly Qualified" under No Child Left Behind.
The first Dallastown High School class graduated in 1898. The first constructed building to house the newly created Dallastown High School, a combination of local schoolhouses, was on Charles St. in Dallastown, now Dallastown Elementary. This building became too small, and effective July 1, 1958; the school districts of Loganville, Springfield and York Township became the York Imperial Union School District. Accordingly, the Dallastown Area School System, which operated all of the schools in the area, grades 1 through 12, was composed of three member districts: Dallastown Borough, Yoe Borough and York Imperial Union. Realizing an immediate need for a building for secondary school purposes, a site was selected and construction of a 167,262-square-foot building began. On September 1, 1958, the doors of the new Dallastown Area High School opened. The Dallastown Area High School was first constructed in 1958 and underwent a major renovation and remodel in 2001.
Copyright: CC 3.0