Chestnut Hill College is a coeducational Roman Catholic college in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania within the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The college was founded in 1924, as a women's college, by the Sisters of St. Joseph. It was originally named Mount Saint Joseph College. In 1980, the college established a coeducational graduate education program and started to admit male students to its undergraduate programs in 2003. As of 2012, a total of 2,318 students were enrolled in Chestnut Hill College's three constituent schools, with fewer than 900 as undergraduates.
Located at the northwestern edge of Philadelphia, on 45 acres , overlooking the Wissahickon Creek, Chestnut Hill College opened in 1924 as a Catholic, four-year, liberal arts college for women. Founded as Mount Saint Joseph College by the Sisters of St. Joseph, the college was renamed in 1938 as Chestnut Hill College. In the 1960s, the high school section moved to Flourtown, about 3 miles away, and retains the original name Mount Saint Joseph.
Copyright: CC 3.0