The Beggarstown School, built c. 1740, is a historic school in Beggarstown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, now part of the Mount Airy neighborhood. It is a rare example of a colonial era school building. The small building has one-and-a-half stories and measures 28 feet 3 inches (8.61 m) across the front, and 18 feet 3 inches (5.56 m) along the sides. A brick el in the rear was added after a 1915 restoration. The four-bay front is constructed of Wissahickon schist ashlar, and the sides of stuccoed rubble. The school was altered in 1840. A few of the original floorboards remain in the otherwise greatly altered interior. The building is owned by the adjacent St. Michael's Evangelical Lutheran Church and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. It is also a contributing building in the Colonial Germantown Historic District, a National Historic Landmark Historic District.
Copyright: CC 3.0