The Howard Pyle Studios are two historic buildings used for painting and teaching by illustrator Howard Pyle. The studios are located in a densely populated neighborhood near Brandywine Park and the Delaware Avenue Historic District. The building used by Pyle as his own studio was built in 1883, mainly in brick with a Tudor Revival half timbered gable. The smaller studio, that Pyle used for teaching, was built in a similar style in 1900. After Pyle's death in 1911, the buildings were owned by Stanley Arthurs, until 1950, and then by Ellen duPont Wheelwright until 1964. The Studio Group acquired the studios in 1964 and continue to use them as art studios. In 1978, the property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Copyright: CC 3.0