The old Chester Courthouse was built in 1724 in Chester, to serve as the courthouse for Chester County, Pennsylvania. Chester County was one of the first three counties in the Province of Pennsylvania set up by William Penn. About 1790 the county seat was moved to West Chester, Pennsylvania and the Chester Courthouse no longer served as the county courthouse. A few years later, the area around Chester was separated from Chester County and formed into Delaware County, Pennsylvania and the Chester Courthouse became the courthouse for Delaware County. In 1850 the county seat was again moved - this time to Media and Chester Courthouse served as City Hall for the city of Chester.
Copyright: CC 3.0