The Caleb Pusey House, built in 1683, is the second oldest English house in Pennsylvania open to the public . Built in a vernacular English yeoman's style, it is the only remaining house where William Penn is known to have visited. It stands on the 100 acres near Chester Creek which Penn granted Pusey, a plantation which the latter named "Landing Ford". It is located in what is now Upland, near Chester. Since the 1950s, the building and grounds have been owned by the Friends of the Caleb Pusey House, Inc. The house was restored and the property is operated as a historic house museum.
Caleb Pusey, formally Caleb Bartholomew alias Pusey, was a Quaker lastmaker and a friend and business partner of William Penn, the founder of the colony of Pennsylvania. Pusey came to the colony from England in 1682, having been born in the parish of Lambourn, to manage Chester Mills for Penn. Situated on Chester Creek west of Philadelphia, they were the first Proprietary grist mill and sawmill in the colony. From 1701, Pusey served as a justice of the provincial supreme court. Pusey became involved with the local Quaker community, as well as local government. He wrote a number of pamphlets, several in defense of William Penn.
Copyright: CC 3.0