Carlow University is a private, co-educational, Catholic university located in the heart of Pittsburgh’s “Tech, Ed, and Med” district. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy, Carlow’s eleven athletic teams are known as the Celtics, a reflection of the university’s Irish heritage and roots. In 2014-2015, the student body is 87% women and 13% men.
The Sisters of Mercy arrived in Pittsburgh, Pa. on December 21, 1843. They traveled from Carlow, Ireland to the Oakland area of Pittsburgh, where they purchased 13 acres within the Diocese of Pittsburgh. This land became the location of a new motherhouse and Our Lady of Mercy Academy. Some reports state that the site of the current campus was the location of a Civil War fortification named Fort Zug.
Copyright: CC 3.0