Chatham Village is a community within the larger Mount Washington neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and an internationally acclaimed model of community design. It is roughly bounded by Virginia Ave., Bigham St., Woodruff St., Saw Mill Run Blvd., and Olympia Rd. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2005 as a remarkably well-preserved example of Garden City Movement design. The village is owned and operated as a cooperative by its residents.
Chatham Village was built 1932–1936, and was designed by Clarence Stein and Henry Wright on the principles of the Garden City Movement of the early 20th century. It is in the Georgian Colonial Revival style. It was built to show that affordable housing for the working class could be attractive and safe, however it quickly became a middle- and upper-class neighborhood because it was so attractive. The funding was provided by Pittsburgh's Buhl Foundation.
Copyright: CC 3.0