The city hall of Charleroi
The town hall at Charleroi, inaugurated in 1936, is an impressive classical building with geometric lines and an interplay of materials – red and black marble, bronze, brass, wrought iron – which add an Art Deco touch.
It contains several statues, intended to display the city’s dominance, prosperity and industrial heritage. The council chamber is the only room containing pictorial art, a seven-panelled work with seven corresponding stainedglass windows depicting the coats of arms of the subdivisions (cantons) of the administrative district of Charleroi.
The town hall is a masterpiece of civil architecture, and its bell-tower is included on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Monument classé par Arrêté ministériel de la Région wallonne (09-09-2001)
Repris sur la liste du P. E. de Wallonie
Beffroi inscrit sur la liste du patrimoine mondial (décembre 1999)
Copyright: All rights reserved
rue charles dupret 2