Holzbrücke Rapperswil-Hurden is a wooden pedestrian bridge between the city of Rapperswil and the village of Hurden crossing the upper Lake Zürich (Obersee) in Switzerland. The prehistoric timber piles discovered to the west of the Seedamm date back to 1523 BC. The Technikum site is a prehistoric pile-dwelling (or stilt house) settlement which is part of the Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps UNESCO World Heritage Site. The first wooden footbridge led across Lake Zürich, followed by several reconstructions at least until late 2nd century AD when the Roman Empire built a 6 metres (20 ft) wide wooden bridge. Between 1358 and 1360, Rudolf IV, Duke of Austria, built a 'new' wooden bridge across the lake that was used until 1878. On April 6, 2001, the reconstructed wooden footbridge was opened, being the longest wooden bridge in Switzerland.
Copyright: CC 3.0