Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Schwerin
Number of texts: 1
Schwerin Cathedral (German: Schweriner Dom) was formerly a Roman Catholic cathedral as old as the city itself, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Saint John. It was built in Schwerin, North Germany, following the move here of the seat of the Bishopric of the Abodrites, established by Henry the Lion, from the old city of Mecklenburg in the late 12th century. The first cathedral was built of timber. The foundation stone of the stone cathedral of the Prince-Bishopric of Schwerin was laid in 1172. After a construction period of seventy-six years, it was consecrated in 1248. The proto-cathedral is now the church of the Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran State Church of Mecklenburg.