San Luis Aerodrome (Spanish: Aeródromo de San Luis) (ICAO: LESL) was the first civil airfield on Menorca. Originally built during the 1920s it was converted for military aircraft activities during the Spanish Civil War. The airfield is located in the Sant Lluís municipality in close proximity to Mahón (only 2½ km from the town centre). During 1949, San Luis was equipped as a customs airport and opened to domestic and international traffic in August. Over the following decade, the airport traffic increased which facilitated two extensions of the runway. However the airport could neither accommodate larger aircraft nor could the runway be extended. In 1967, San Luis was assigned to Real Aero Club de Mahón Menorca (Royal Mahon Flying Club) and since then this entity has been responsible for the conservation and maintenance of the facilities of the Pilot and Aeromodelling School. All civilian services were transferred to the island's newly constructed main airport on March 24, 1969. Today it is primarily used for general and leisure aviation, with approximately 3,000 flights per year.
Copyright: CC 3.0