The Castillo de Jimena de la Frontera is situated on the outskirts of Jimena de la Frontera in the Province of Cádiz, Spain. The castle was originally built by the Grenadian Moors of the Umayyad Caliphate ruling over the area of Hispania Baetica (modern Andalusia) in the 8th Century. It served as one of many castles guarding both the approach to the fortifications around Gibraltar and the Bay of Algeciras where the strategic and important Moorish stronghold and fortress of Algeciras was located. It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1931.
Copyright: CC 3.0