Chamberí is a closed station on the Madrid Metro, which has been a museum since 2008. The station is on Line 1, between the stations of Iglesia and Bilbao, under the Plaza de Chamberí.
Designed by the architect Antonio Palacios, it was inaugurated on 17 October 1919. It was one of the original eight stations that served Madrid´s first metro line. This was the first such project in Spain, and the architect was inspired by the look of the Parisian stations of the time. He managed to mitigate the possible reluctance of the public to use the subway, by using bright, colorful materials in the spaces in contact with travelers, such as hallways, tunnels, passage and platform finishes, extensively using tiles and other white and cobalt blue ceramic pieces. Its design met the criteria of functionality, simplicity and economy.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com