In the eighteenth century the new Borbon dynasty considered promoting naval construction, which included financing the construction of four new galleys, two of which would be very large. In order to carry this out, it was decided to make the last great alteration to the Royal Dockyard, consisting of merging the two central aisles of the main block of the building in order to build a wider, higher new one.
To achieve this, sixty arches and twenty-two columns were pulled down, rebuilding everything in a single grand aisle.
In spite of this, shipbuilding in the Dockyard had its days numbered. In 1745 galley production was stopped for various reasons (there was coexistence with the military offices; raw materials had to be sourced from outside the Principality and what’s more, had to arrive by sea, which further complicated its usage) and the architectural complex was converted into a factory and armoury, and soon afterwards, into a barracks.
Copyright: All rights reserved