The University Dental Hospital of Manchester is part of Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The Dental Hospital was established in 1884 in association with the School of Medicine at Owens College. It was then at Grosvenor Street, Chorlton on Medlock and in 1892 removed to another house, in Devonshire Street. Fund raising was slow in response to a public appeal and only in 1908 was the hospital able to occupy a new building on Oxford Road next to the Manchester Museum, designed in the Edwardian Baroque style by the architects Charles Heathcote & Sons. In 1905 the University established a degree and a diploma in dental surgery (these were first awarded in 1909 and 1908 respectively). A contribution from Godfrey Ermen towards the cost of building the hospital is recorded on a stone tablet near the entrance.
Copyright: CC 3.0