Source: File Upload Bot (Magnus Manske)
Copyright: Creative Commons 2.0
Oughterard is a small town on the banks of the Owenriff River close to the western shore of Lough Corrib in County Galway, Ireland. The population of the town in 2006 was 1,305. Located some 26 km northwest of Galway on the N59 road. Oughterard is the chief angling centre on Lough Corrib, and is also known as the 'Gateway to Connemara' as it is on the border of Connemara.
Three kilometres outside the town stand the ruins of Aughnanure Castle, a well-preserved example of a Norman tower house. Much of the surrounding area was occupied by the O'Flaherty clan, but was taken over by Walter de Burgh, 1st Earl of Ulster, in 1256. Ross Castle is also located a number of kilometres outside Oughterard. The mansion, which is visible today, was built by the Martin family in the 17th century but there is some evidence still present of the original castle structure, built in the 15th century by the O'Flaherty family, in its foundation. There is also a golf course within the grounds of Ross Castle.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com