The first wooden chapel on this location was build early in the 14th century, belonging to the church of Leiderdorp. In the second half of the 14th century there is a strong need for a bigger church on the high lands (hoog land) of which building starts in 1377. The church is almost choosen to be the third cathedral in the Netherlands, but has to pass as finally that role is given to the St. Bavo church in Haarlem in 1535. Enlargements of the church were stopped leaving the church in an "unfinished" state. If the building would have been finished it would have been one of the largest gothic cathedrals of Europe.
During the years several large renovations take place, from 1840 to 1903 and from 1952 to 1972. Lots of original details have been preserved.
The church is a monument and sometimes open for visitors.
More info: http://www.hooglandsekerk.com/nl/gebouw/index.html (Dutch)