The Ameland Lighthouse, commonly known as Bornrif, is a lighthouse on the Dutch island Ameland, one of the Frisian Islands, on the edge of the North Sea. It was built in 1880 by order of William III of the Netherlands. It was designed by Dutch lighthouse architect Quirinus Harder and built by the foundry Nering Bögel in Deventer. The individual segments were shipped to Ameland and welded together on-site.
After World War II a new, weaker lamp was installed, which was replaced by a stronger lamp in 1952. The lighthouse is a Rijksmonument since 1982. Since the end of 2004 it is owned by Ameland, and it was opened for tourists in 2005. The tower has a space for exhibitions.
Copyright: CC 3.0